Giovanni Boccati

HOME / Giovanni Boccati

Giovanni Boccati (Camerino, documented from 1434 – + between 1480 and 1488)

Born in Camerino, presumably around 1409, and documented from 1434. After receiving his first education locally, he moves to the Montefeltro Court in Urbino and later to Florence Belforte del Chientialong with Giovanni Angelo di Antonio. There he meets Filippo Lippi, a Carmelite painter, in 1443. In 1445 he goes to Perugia, where he makes the Madonna of the Pergola for the Church of St. Dominic (1447). The Adoration of the Magi in Helsinki and Crucifixions in Urbino and Venice can be dated to the same period. Two years later he travels to Padua. After returning to Le Marche, he paints the polyptych for St. Francis in Tolentino, that has been dismembered and the surviving parts distributed between several museums, and makes the frescos of one of the rooms of Urbino’s Ducal Palace, probably in collaboration with Fra’ Carnevale. In the 1460’s he makes several works in the territory between the Chientishire and the Gianoshire. After spending a few years in Camerino, he moves back to Umbria, where he makes several paintings for the churches of St. Savino in Orvieto and St.Agatha in Perugia.

Works in the area:

Camerino, Crocifissione di Raggiano (Museo Diocesano).
Castelraimondo, Incoronazione di Maria Vergine (Castel Santa Maria, Chiesa dell’Assunta).
Fiordimonte, Madonna col Bambino e Santi, (Nemi, Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta).
Pieve Torina, Madonna con il Bambino, San Sebastiano e angeli (Casavecchia alta, Chiesa di San Rocco).
Pioraco, Madonna in trono con Bambino (Seppio, Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Lacrime).
Urbino, Crocifissione (Galleria Nazionale delle Marche).